There are quite a few ways to use cannabis. We made a list of the most common types of marijuana paraphernalia and how to use them. You may need to try a few to decide what works best for you.
Types of Marijuana Paraphernalia
- Hand Pipes
- Bongs & Water Pipes
- Vape Pens
- Dab Rigs
How to Use a Pipe
Load up your marijuana with a loose pile of herb in the bottom then pile more on top loosely until you have a full bowl. Place your finger over the carb and hold the lighter to one side of the bowl just lightly touching it with the flame, don’t hold the flame directly over the bowl. You want a nice and smooth hit! Inhale until you taste smoke in your mouth, this means the pipe has a full hit. Release the carb and continue to inhale. Hold it in for a couple of seconds and then exhale and fly high. The best part about a pipe is that it is easily transported, you can take it with you wherever you go.
Types of Hand Pipes
- Chillums, Tasters & One-Hitters – The convenient size of these make it perfect for on the go.
- Gandalf – Designed to get the bowl away from your face and give you a full view of the bowl.
- Sherlocks – The pipe’s shape fits great in your hand and fit your hit into the body rather than the spoon head.
- Spoon – The classic pipe. They will have a round bowl, a long mouthpiece, and a carb on one side of the chamber.
- Steamrollers – Packs a punch! You cover the end to carb the piece and let go when you want to take the hit.
- Bubblers – Half bong and half pipe, their small size and water incorporation helps you get a smooth, filtered hit.
How to Use a Bong
The best method is going to be stacking your hits in the chamber. Stacking means you hit a bong, and the smoke gathers in the chamber and does not move significantly up the mouthpiece. The key to stacking is keeping your breath under control. Slow and steady wins the race. Start with your lighter next to the bowl and gently pull, filling up the empty chamber with smoke. Keep gently hitting until you run out of breath. Then with your next inhale, remove the bowl and quickly inhale a large amount of smoke all at once. Then enjoy the ride!
Types of Bongs
- Beaker Bong – If you’re upgrading to something larger than a hand pipe, this is the way to go.
- Tube Bong – Deliver hits the fastest! Super easy airflow because there are no large chambers to fill.
- Bong with Percolator – A bong with an extra water chamber through which smoke flows to provide extra filtration.
- Silicone bong – Durable piece that is unlikely to be broken. Perfect for camping, water sports, or other outdoor fun.
How to Roll a Joint
To roll a joint, you will need rolling papers, a crutch, a rolling tray, grinder and of course cannabis flower. To begin you’ll want to grind your flower so that it is crumbly and free of stems so the final product burns evenly. The powdery stuff that is at the bottom of the grinder is kief and it is packed with THC! Grab the tray to catch excess weed and place your rolling paper on it. Fill the paper with weed along the crease, make sure to leave room for the filter at one end. Sprinkle some kief on top of the weed for extra potency.
The secret to getting a tight and cylindrical joint is to grab the flower-filled paper by both ends, pinch the tops of the paper with your thumbs and forefingers, and rub your fingers together in an up-and-down motion. Lick the glued inseam, tap the filter to settle the flower and then twist the other end to keep things in place. Enjoy your masterpiece!
Types of Rolling Papers
- Wood Pulp – Same as cigarette paper, a very popular type that is easy to handle. Medium burn rate.
- Organic – Free of bleach and other chemical additives that makes the paper almost transparent. Burns slow and even.
- Hemp – A classic choice made from hemp fiber that gives you a full cannabis-derived joint. And you save trees!
- Rice – Made from processed and pressed rice, they are usually thinner than others. Burns slowly with no aftertaste.
- Flavored – There are a variety of flavors but it will distract you from the cannabis taste.
- Blunt Wraps – A non-tobacco option with the same cigar look and feel.
Types of Vape Pens
- E-Liquid – A liquid solution containing concentrates from dry herbs. E-liquid contains cannabis at varying potency, and many of them have tasty flavors as well. Cartridges attach to the battery either by screwing together using a 510 thread or by magnet. CBD vape juice has become much more popular recently because of the many health benefits of CBD.
- Wax – Also known as “Dab Pens” are used to provide a method for the consumption of thick oils and flower concentrates. With dab pens, the concentrate is placed into the heating chamber rather than loaded into a vape cartridge in liquid form. With this type of pen, users are not limited to cartridges, and can consume many forms of concentrate, including wax, badder, budder, and shatter.
How to take a Dab
Dabbing involves heating up a nail and dropping in a golden glob of medicine so it vaporizes. You can heat it up to a high or low temp. High temps provide more intensity, but it can be harsh and it all vaporizes so quickly that you won’t taste the delicious flavors. Lower temps provide smoother hits and are ideal for experiencing the complex terpene profiles of particular cannabis strains, but they can leave valuable product behind. When getting the oils on the nail from the dabber, it’s important to let it just slide off the dabber so you can cap it quickly. When you’re ready to clear the plume of vapor, simply remove the carb to clear your rig.
Exploring the different types of marijuana paraphernalia will allow you to make the best choice for your consumption preferences. Our Care Consultants at SweetGrass are always on standby to make recommendations based on your needs.